Irish Number Plates
Irish Number Plates are dateless and can be transferred onto any age of vehicle registered in England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland. They’ve become a cost effective way of hiding the age of your vehicle. For example, if your vehicle is registered on a 51 plate then people automatically know your vehicle was first registered in 2001, however if it was registered with ESZ 1100 no one can tell how old your vehicle is - a good way to impress your neighbours!
You can purchase one of our Irish Number Plates and hide the age of your vehicle from as little as £40 (plus fees). We have over 25,000 Irish Number Plates, many of which are significantly cheaper than a similar mainland equivalent and around 5000 registrations are either £99 or under! As we have so many, simply click on a letter below to filter for the first letter of the registration and we'll show you what we have available.
What Are Irish Number Plates?
“Irish Number Plates” is a term used in the number plate industry which actually refers to registrations issued in Northern Ireland - not the Republic of Ireland. Northern Ireland forms part of the United Kingdom, whereas the Republic of Ireland is a different country and uses a separate vehicle licensing system, using year followed with the first and last initial of the county along with the number of vehicles registered to date, e.g. 12-DL-1280.
Northern Irish plates are handled by DVLA Swansea just like the rest of the UK and can just as easily go onto a vehicle in Portsmouth or Norwich as they can a car in Belfast. In fact, an increasing number of our customers, including our mainland UK customers, are realising that making an investment in one of our Irish registration plates is worthwhile as they are a cheap alternative to other personalised number plates, especially if you’re looking for a dateless registration.
How are Irish Number Plates Assigned?DVLA Swansea have been responsible for issuing Irish registrations since 2014 but unlike DVLA registrations for the GB mainland, there is no way of identifying the age of the vehicle with an Irish Number Plate. Registrations are assigned differently in Northern Ireland – there is no year identifier.
The prefix of the Irish number plate denotes the area the registration comes from. For example, Speedy Reg is based in Fermanagh where the IL ,and more recently, IG combinations are from. This has led to many popular combinations such as GIL, HIL, LIL, MIL, OIL and more recently AIG, DIG, BIG, MIG, OIG then RIG, SIG, TIG, UIG and soon VIG, all followed by 1, 2, 3 or 4 numbers, i.e. JIG 8085. (Any Dancing Bobs needing a new number plate?)If you’re looking for inspiration, it’s also worth noting that Irish Registrations will always have an "I" or a "Z" somewhere in the letters combined with 1, 2, 3 or 4 numbers.The majority of shorter Northern Irish registrations, for example, RUI 5, NUI 7, LNZ 3, NHZ 8, BGZ 8, BSZ 9, GCZ 6, TDZ 9, JHZ 1 etc, are held back from general allocation. DVLA Swansea will release these numbers in auctions and are therefore more expensive. The DVLA issue these number plates on a Certificate of Entitlement.
Previous Irish Number Plate Releases
Whilst we supply personalised registrations, we realise that a number of customers restore old vehicles and so are looking for a registration that would have been available at the time the vehicle was manufactured. Use the grid below to search for either the issuing office or the registration letters and then use the matches to find the registrations we have available for sale.
Current & Upcoming Irish Number Plate Releases
Northern Ireland is divided into eight separate licensing areas: -
Belfast - Current issue: RGZ. Next issue: SGZ
Popular Plates: BAZ, GAZ, DAZ, SAZ, JEZ, OGZ
Downpatrick - Current issue: ESZ. Next Issue: FSZ
Popular Plates: ABZ, BBZ,MBZ,CSZ
Armagh - Current issue: OXZ. Next issue: PXZ
Popular Plates: GIB, RIB, WLZ, MXZ
Enniskillen - Current issue: UIG. Next issue: VIG
Popular Plates: BIG, MIG, RIG, TIG
Omagh - Current issue: XHZ. Next Issue: YHZ
Popular Plates: PJI, CHZ , WHZ
Londonderry - Current issue: XUI. Next issue: YUI
Popular Plates: NUI, OUI , WUI
Coleraine - Current issue: YNZ. Next issue: AYZ
Popular Plates: LNZ, ENZ, VIW
Ballymena - Current issue: RRZ. Next issue: SRZ
Popular Plates: UKZ, ORZ
Popular Irish Number Plate Combinations
We've taken a look at our Irish registrations and identified the most popular three letter combinations below that offer great value for money and a wide choice of available numbers to give you the best registration possible.
A letter Z is available on the UK mainland current style registrations but you need a vehicle young enough to support when the registration was released.
Irish Number Plates are referred to as "dateless" registrations. This means they can go onto any vehicle, regardless of how old or new the vehicle is, whether you've just got a new vehicle straight off the forecourt, or a 1980's classic.
How Do I Purchase an Irish Number Plate?
Speedy Reg are based in Enniskillen, Northern Ireland, which gives us home advantage! We are the leading supplier of Irish Number Plates with the largest stock of Irish Number Plates for sale within the UK. With over 35 years of experience, you can rely on Speedy Reg to handle your transfer, making the process as easy (and speedy!) as possible.
You can choose from 25,000 Irish registration plates either stored on Retention Certificate or Motorcycles. As well as supplying the public, we are also the main suppliers of Irish number plates to other registration companies and coach companies. Speedy Reg are the only Northern Irish Number plate dealer to have been awarded the most sought after industry recognised quality standard, BSI. We are registered to ISO 9001:2000, certificate no. A12 456.
We can complete the transfer in one of two ways:-
1. Immediately: You can simply provide us with the current registration on your vehicle, the V5C document reference number and we can assign your registration onto your vehicle over the telephone while you wait. Your V5C must be currently taxed and printed in your name and address. If successful, we will email you a Number Plate Authorisation Certificate eV948 as confirmation of your completion. Please note that online assignments can only be attempted between 9am - 6pm Monday to Saturday
2. By Post: If we are unable to assign your registration online then we will require you to post your V5C to us. You would then just wait for your new V5C Vehicle Registration Document to drop through your door and then fix your new number plates onto your vehicle. The DVLA are no longer issuing a completion letter following a transfer, the V5C is the only official document you will receive.
Irish Number Plate FAQ's
1. Are Irish number plates age related?
Irish registrations plates are dateless and can be transferred onto any vehicle without restriction.
2. What is the transfer time for number plates?
Average transfer completion is 5 - 7 working days from receipt of your V5C. However, we can do many transfers online while you wait on the telephone, providing your V5C is printed in your name and address and is currently taxed and MOT'd
3. Are Irish registration numbers transferable in the future and can they go on retention?
Once the Irish number plate is on your vehicle, you can move it from vehicle to vehicle for which there is a charge of £80 Or they can be transferred onto a Retention Certificate at a cost of £80 and again this can be completed in DVLA Swansea.
4. Are number plates from Ireland legal in the GB mainland?
Yes, they can be transferred onto any age of vehicle, anywhere in the GB mainland.
5. Why are some Irish Number Plate prices subject to full VAT and others only have part VAT?
If the Irish Number Plate is owned by Speedy Reg, or from a VAT registered supplier, then full VAT is applicable and must be added, however, registrations that are being sold on a commission sale basis are only subject to VAT on a percentage of the price.
6. How can I pay for my new Irish Number Plate?
We accept the following methods for payment:
- Credit Card
- Debit Card
- Banker Draft
- Postal Orders
- Bank Transfer (BACS)
- Paypal (email@example.com)
Buy Now Pay Later finance options also available
7. What will happen to my current DVLA car registration number?
The DVLA will reclaim your registration back once you transfer your new Irish Number plate onto your vehicle, however you can keep your current registration - it will cost you £80 to retain it on a Retention Certificate.
8. What does it mean if my current V5C Registration Certificate states that the registration is non-transferable?
There is no problem transferring an Irish Number Plate onto your vehicle, however, you will not be able to transfer or retain the current registration number.
9. How long will I have to wait before my new Irish Number Plate will be on my vehicle?
Transfers are currently taking 5 working days for completion, however, we can do many transfers online while you wait on the telephone, providing your V5C is printed in your name and address and is currently taxed and MOT'd.
10. How can I find out about the progress of my Irish number plate transfer?
You can telephone us on 02866 387124 for an instant progress report on your new registration.
11. Will there be any age restrictions for transferring Irish Number Plates on my vehicle?
No there are no age restrictions for transferring Irish Number plates onto your vehicle, as they are dateless registrations and therefore can be transferred onto any age of vehicle.
12. What happens if I need to re-tax my vehicle during the transfer of my Irish Number Plate?
We can re-tax your vehicle during the transfer of your Irish Number Plate, to do this we will require the following documents:
- Cheque for Road Tax
- Insurance Certificate valid for at least 6 weeks.
- V10 – Tax Application Form
Alternatively, it can be retaxed over the phone.
13. If I have a “Q” registration on my vehicle will I be able to transfer an Irish Number plate onto my vehicle?
Unfortunately you will not be able to transfer an Irish Number Plate onto your vehicle.
14. Can I transfer a registration onto my vehicle and at the same time, transfer my current number to another vehicle?
Yes there is no problem, we can transfer an Irish Number onto your vehicle and at the same time transfer your current registration off the vehicle. This is called a double transfer.
In order for us to complete the double transfer we will require the following documents:
- V5C—Vehicle Registration Certificate for both vehicles
- V317 Transfer Form
An extra £80 cheque payable to DOT.
If you do not have a vehicle to transfer this registration onto, it can be transferred onto a Retention Certificate, to do this we will require the following:
- V317 Transfer and Retention application form
- V5C—Vehicle Registration Certificate
- A Cheque for £80 made payable to DVLA Swansea
15. Can I transfer an Irish Number Plate onto my motorcycle?
Yes - there is no restriction in transferring an Irish Number Plate onto your motorcycle provided it is currently MOT'd and Taxed.
Speedy Reg’s 4.9/5 TrustPilot score is testament to many satisfied customers. We have spent every week for more than 35 years transferring 150 to 200 Irish registration numbers to the GB mainland.
If you have any questions about Irish Number Plates or you’d like to discuss your purchase, please give us a call on 02866 387124 or use our contact form. We’re always happy to help.