Personalised Number Plates
Speedy Registrations are one of the largest UK suppliers of personalised number plates straight from stock, managing over 100,000 registration numbers from clients daily, along with 60 million registrations from government stock. We also have our own stock of more than 17,000 registrations which nobody can beat on price.
If you’re looking for Cheap Number Plates, some of our personalised number plates start at just £25 +VAT, plus the government transfer fee (currently £80).
We’re also the UK's biggest supplier of Irish Number Plates, so if you fancy a BIG plate, or a KAZ plate, we are your best and fastest supplier. They don't call us Speedy Reg for nothing, and our TrustPilot reviews show thousands of testimonials from happy customers.
What are Personalised Number Plates?
Personalised Number Plates are a special type of vehicle registration plate on a car or other vehicle. The owner of the vehicle will have paid to have his or her own choice of numbers or letters (from the choice available), usually forming a recognisable phrase, slogan, or initials to make it a personalised number plate.
Why Buy a Personalised Number Plate?
1. Express Yourself
You can choose something that suits you – whether you want to pick a registration that matches your name, your favourite football team, a hobby or loved one. Whatever the reason, it’s a great way of personalising your vehicle.
2. Number Plates are a Good Investment
Each number plate is unique – there is only one of each – so their value typically increases with age. Some people buy number plates now as an investment to sell later. Did you know the Number Plate 25 0 sold for more than £500k?!
3. Disguise Your Vehicle’s Age
It’s against the law to buy a number plate that makes your vehicle appear younger – but you can get yourself a dateless number plate so nobody will know how old your vehicle is by looking at the number plate! Much cheaper than buying a new car, right?
4. Easy to Remember
If you have a personalised number plate, you’ll know it off the top of your head! No more having to double-check it when filling in forms, or when you’re asked for it. You’ll know it because you picked it yourself!
What Types of Personalised Number Plates are there?
In the current style, you will be given a combination of letters and numbers. There will be two letters prior to the two numbers that serves as the year identifier of the vehicle, then three letters follow. This is the usual pattern for number plates.
With the prefix style, the year identifier is first and then followed by letters. You can personalise prefix number plates.
With the suffix style, you also include the year identifier but this time it goes at the end of the registration instead of the beginning. Suffix number plates can also be personalised.
This is the option for you if you don’t want to include the year identifier – ideal to hide the age of your vehicle. This is a personalised number plate wherein you can choose from the many combinations of numbers and letters.
How Do I Buy a new Personalised Number Plate?
Choose Your Personalised Number Plate
The fun part – picking your number plate! There are thousands of combinations available from the styles listed above. You can browse our website or use our search function to find something that suits you. Most people go for something that represents their name, job, hobby, favourite football team or something else important to them. Don’t be afraid to get creative!
Order Your Number Plate Online
You can order your new personalised number plate online – either directly on our website – or by calling us on 02866 387124 and we’ll be happy to talk you through the rest of the process.
When paying for your number plate, we also offer 0% Finance options, which can be applied for online.
Doing the Paperwork
We will require your V5C, but the good news is that we can do many transfers online while you wait on the telephone, providing your V5C is printed in your name and address and is currently MOT’d and Taxed.
You will also need to notify your Insurance Company once the transfer is completed.
Getting Physical Number Plates for your Vehicle
Once you’ve purchased your new registration, you’ll need new number plates to put on your vehicle. Don’t worry, we can take care of that for you too - we can supply the physical number plates priced at £20 + VAT.
Enjoy your new plates
Once the transfer is completed, all the paperwork is out of the way and you’ve got your new physical plates on your vehicle, the only thing left to do is relax, enjoy your new number plates and show them off!
DVLA Rules for Personalised Number Plates
In the United Kingdom, the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) issue personalised number plates. They have some important rules which must be considered when picking a personalised number plate:
Personalised number plates cannot contain words which are offensive in any widely used language
For exampleAS19 OLEBU19 SHT
These are both classed as offensive plates by the DVLA and are banned.
Personalised Number Plates must match very strict letter/number combinations such as:222 FMMS55 EXY8 UWPAU 11YANN 6E
The receiving vehicle should be taxed.
If the vehicle is not taxed you can still apply to transfer the registration without renewing the tax if you have a statutory of road notification (SORN). DVLA transfer rules also state there must be no break between the date the tax ran out and the start of the SORN. The SORN must be declared less than 5 years to comply with the DVLA Transfer rules.
The vehicle must also be a testable type subject to MOT/PSV or HGV certificate.
You cannot assign a registration to make it appear younger i.e. AU18 REY cannot be transferred onto a vehicle CMU 113N. You can however hide the age of your vehicle by opting for a dateless number, ie IFZ 177
Personalised Number Plate FAQ's
- Do I need to transfer a Personalised Number Plate onto a vehicle immediately?
- No, as most of our Personalised number plates can be supplied on a Retention Certificate. Most personalised number plates can be supplied on a certificate.
- What is the transfer time for Personalised Number Plates?
- The average completion time is 3-5 working days from receipt of your V5C. However, we can do many transfers online while you wait on the telephone, providing your V5C is printed in your name and address and is currently MOT’d and Taxed
- Can any Personalised Number Plates go onto any vehicle?
- If the number plate on your current vehicle starts with a “Q”, you will not be able to transfer a registration onto your vehicle. The DVLA issues “Q” or “QNI” to vehicles they cannot identify their age. If your vehicle type does not need a MOT / HGV certificate, you will not be able to transfer a Personalised Number Plate onto your vehicle, for example a Tractor. You would not be able to transfer a Personalised Number Plate onto a Tractor.
- How much do I have to pay to Transfer a Personalised Number Plate?
- The cost of the transfer Fee is £80, to transfer a number plate onto a certificate or vehicle.
- What happens if I need to Road Tax or MOT my vehicle when my transfer is completed?
- Your MOT and TAX will be changed over Electronically by the DVLA.
- Can I buy a Personalised Number Plate for my motorcycle or moped?
- Yes, as long as your vehicle is currently MOT and Taxed
If you have any other queries or you'd like to talk to us about buying a personalised number plate, please give us a call us on 02866 387124 or contact us here