Driving abroad – some advice


Driving abroad can be daunting sometimes, so it’s a good idea to read up about the rules of the road in the country you’re going to be driving in, and also find out the legal requirements if you’re taking your own car rather than hiring one. If you don’t have number plate with the GB euro symbol on, then you are legally required to display a GB sticker. Some countries outside of the EU require you to have a GB symbol even if you do have the euro symbol plates, so it’s generally best to display one anyway.

Always carry your driving license with you and the paper counterpart if you have a photo license. You’ll also need with you your insurance certificate and your registrations documents. If you are stopped while driving you may also be asked for your passport so keep that with you too. Some countries require you to have an International Driving Permit which you can apply for before you leave home.

It’s worth remembering that if you’re travelling within Europe and have an accident, the number to call for the emergency services is 112. The European equivalent of our 999.

Check the rules for the country you’re visiting carefully. For example, it is illegal to drive in France without a breathalyser in your car. Failure to produce one when stopped will result in an on the spot fine. The breathalyser must also be in date.

Photo credit: fabbio/ Foter/ CC BY-SA